Thursday, March 25, 2010

THE DAY AFTER THE ELECTIONS


It’s the day after the elections and I have been confirmed the winner of the 2011 election. The results had been mentioned in the early hours of the morning. My phone hasn’t stopped ringing, with friends and well-wishers calling me, “Mr. President”. I say my morning prayers and pray God guides me through the next four years. I’ve already decided who will make my cabinet, Federal Character is about to be thrown out the door.

As the sun rises and brings in a new day, I call those who have made my campaign team, some of who will still serve under my administration. The first order of the day is to thank the Nigerian public and to also visit the INEC office and congratulate them on holding a free and fair election this time. Although I don’t see how this was possible with Maurice Iwu in charge, although I heard the youth of Nigeria under such groups as Enough is Enough Nigeria made sure their every votes were counted.

I also meet with military officials, specifically the JTF (Joint Task Force) to discuss the situation in the Niger Delta and tell them we will double troops for what is about to come. I will also have a secret meeting with senior military brass to talk “emergency exits” in the case of another Jos crisis. In reality this will be a meeting on how if need be Plateau State will be divided between neighbouring states. It shall be called, “The Plateau Solution” and shall serve as a possible exit strategy to any other state that gets caught up in sectarian violence. Imagine if the public knew of this, but as a soon to be head-of-state I have to take bold decisions.

I shall also discuss with my team about who will head my proposed Audit Bureau, which will check the every financial transactions of the ministries. Although not capable of arrests on its own, the Audit Bureau will partner with EFCC when it comes to catching culprits. There will be a visit to the Department of Statistics at CBN to discuss the important of gathering statistics, specifically that of people who die in hospitals. The sooner we know we know what kills us the most, the better we will have an idea on helping the health sector on needed equipments and medicine. This will obvious involve the Health ministry.

All these meetings don’t have to take place in one day of course. What’s important is that in the days leading to my inauguration, I have a clear vision of what I want to accomplish in my first months. There will be no promise of an “energy emergency” like my predecessor had and no 7-point agendas either. Perhaps my biggest challenge will be convincing the political system to get rid of Federal Character when it comes to choosing my cabinet; you know how Nigerian politicians love politicking. It is then I will be accused of serving a Northern agenda or working for the South (a puppet with a Northern face, they’ll say). Clearly I am not going to please everybody and some states will claim that they are not represented. I believe that’s what your House of Representatives are for; to represent every region of every state. This shouldn’t have to include the ministers of my cabinet. If I can’t have capable hands with me, just because one state doesn’t have a minister, there’s already a problem! My headaches have begun!

Four or eight years down the line, I will face an even similar challenge as I try to convince my party to get rid of zoning. “He wants his fellow Northerner to continue.” “He wants the South to regain power again”. Such and such will be said. Surely it isn’t easy to be president; well at least I pray I have my health through it all!

Note: Watch out for my inauguration plans!

No comments:

Post a Comment